Mustelier is actually a giant baby – USA TODAY Sports
- The Best Option – The Captain’s Blog | William Juliano: Brennan Boesch is a better option than the current players in Yankees camp. That doesn’t necessarily mean he’s actually good, but his 2011 season does show more promise than any of the veteran or minor league options have shown in the last two years.
- Underrating/Overrating – It’s About the Money | EJ Fagan: We tend to put a lot of weight on the failures of Yankee pitching prospects without noticing the fact that the Yankee hitting prospects have faired well. The leagues these prospects play in are fairly pitcher-friendly, so if a hitter does well it means they are successful in a difficult run environment.
- PED Penalty Suggestions – Sports Illustrated | Jay Jaffe: Nationals shortstop Ian Desmond has suggested a new PED penalty system that would force guilty players to stay with the team, without pay, and play at the manager’s discretion. This system would punish players by forcing them to stay in the spotlight, deal with their teammates, and feel the pressure of having to perform.
- HOF Honors – Sports Illustrated | Jay Jaffe: Dr. Frank Jobe and Tommy John will be honored for the groundbreaking procedure, colloquially known as Tommy John surgery, at this year’s Hall of Fame Weekend in Cooperstown. The honor will be presented along with the annual presentation of the J.G. Taylor Spink and Ford C. Frick Awards.
- Lame Duck Joe – It’s About the Money | Brad Vietrogoski: Joe Girardi could be a lame duck manager this season. His contract will expire at the end of the year and there has been no discussion about bringing him back.