Yankees focus on bullpen, but big-money closer not likely

Yankees focus on bullpen, but  big-money closer not likely

After signing Jacoby  Ellsbury, Carlos Beltran and Brian McCann for big bucks, Bombers seem reluctant  to pony up for big money relievers.

  By      / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday,  December 23, 2013, 8:14 PM

<!– NEW SHARE – ADDING THE FOLLOWING SCRIPT AND
–> <!–NYDN-1300 – removed gig-bar-container gig-share-bar-container

–>


	Grant Balfour

Rob Carr/Getty

Grant Balfour is still out there after his deal with the Orioles falls  through.

Has the back end of the bullpen moved to the top of the Yankees’ to-do  list?

While the Bombers – and the rest of Major League Baseball – wait to see if  Japanese ace Masahiro Tanaka will be posted, the relief pitching market has  taken center stage following the bizarre circumstances that saw Grant Balfour sign  with Baltimore, only to have the Orioles rescind the offer after claiming to see  something they didn’t like during his physical.

According to a source, the Yankees aren’t looking to sign a big-money  closer, preferring instead to bring in a set-up type reliever to compete with  Dave Robertson for the closer’s job.

The Bombers have been aggressive on the free-agent market this winter – they  inked Brian McCann, Jacoby Ellsbury and Carlos Beltran before the winter  meetings – but they have shied away from getting involved with top closers such  as Joe Nathan, Fernando Rodney or, to this point, Balfour.

Given Balfour’s current situation, that could change.

Balfour agreed to a two-year, $15 million contract with the Orioles last  week, but Baltimore backed out of the deal after Balfour took his physical.  Balfour, who turns 36 next week, insists there is nothing wrong with his arm,  telling the San Francisco Chronicle last Friday that the MRI on his right  shoulder – which was surgically repaired in 2005 – looks the same as it did  three years ago.

“I’m the All-Star pitcher I was last season,” Balfour told the paper. “My  shoulder is fine, everything is fine. I’m ready to come out there in the ninth  inning, do what I do.”

Still, Baltimore’s decision to back out of its deal with Balfour could hurt  the pitcher’s market. If Balfour’s price drops, the Yankees could try to swoop  in and nab him, pairing him with Robertson at the back end of the bullpen.

The Orioles appear to have turned their focus to former Rays closer Rodney,  while the Rays are reportedly interested in a reunion with Balfour, who pitched  in Tampa Bay from 2007-10.

Since the end of last season, the Yankees have lost Mariano Rivera to  retirement and Boone Logan and Joba Chamberlain to free agency. Robertson, Shawn  Kelley and Preston Claiborne are expected to be important pieces of the bullpen,  while Matt Thornton agreed to a two-year, $7 million contract last week to  replace Logan as the primary lefthanded reliever.

Balfour would bolster that group, adding an experienced arm that would serve  as protection if Robertson isn’t ready to take over closer duties. Balfour  converted 62 of his 67 save opportunities during his two years as Oakland’s  closer, posting a 2.56 ERA in 140 appearances. Balfour fanned more than a batter  per inning during those two years, posting a 1.049 WHIP.

REYNOLDS WRAP? The Yankees have been engaged with Mark  Reynolds about a possible return, but a source said the power-hitting infielder  appears close to signing with another team outside the Bronx… The Cubs claimed  RHP Brett Marshall off waivers from the Yankees. Marshall, 23, appeared in three  games with the Yankees last season.

Leave a comment