‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Trailer Reveals Major Events Ahead
AMC announced Friday at San Diego Comic-Con that the fifth season of The Walking Dead will premiere on Oct. 12, and debuted an action-packed trailer that provides scoop on several big moments ahead. (That was your warning to stop reading now — and to avoid the trailer — if you want to remain completely spoiler-free.)
The big reveals:
* Beth’s alive!
* Judith is reunited with Rick and Carl!
* And TWD comic book fans can look forward to the introduction of another character from the comics: priest Gabriel Stokes (The Wire alum Seth Gilliam).
The trailer begins with a repeat of Rick’s (Andrew Lincoln) badass declaration from the Season 4 finale, in which he told his fellow Terminus railroad car dwellers that Terminus leader Gareth (Andrew J. West) and his cohorts are “screwing with the wrong people.
Next, we hear Gareth — in voiceover — say, “I just hope you understand that we didn’t want to hurt you,” but a montage of violence with various weaponry and gas masks follows, suggesting someone most definitely gets hurt.
There’s also a blurry scene with what appears to be a naked body laying on a (dissection?) table, and a quick flash to Gareth telling a tied up Rick and Bob, “Nothing was personal.”
Storytelling rule No. 1: Whenever someone claims something isn’t personal, it so is.
Other highlights of the three-minute trailer, which suggests Season 5 will be even darker in tone than Season 4:
* Rick, Daryl (Norman Reedus), Carl (Chandler Riggs), and the rest of the gang are seen running in the woods and in various other non-Terminus locations, so they obviously escape the train car and the clutches of Gareth and his friends.
* Bob (Lawrence Gilliard Jr.) tries to be the voice of reason, explaining to Gareth they just need to get Eugene to Washington, where a cure for zombiedom awaits.
* Abraham (Michael Cudlitz): “When we get to Washington, we will make the dead die, and the living will have this world again.” But later, on the road, Abraham is seen falling to his knees and crying. Perhaps he learns something shocking about his pal Eugene’s (Josh McDermitt) claims?
* Rick and friends are seen inside a church, which is likely where we’ll meet Stokes, who is holed up inside his church when Rick and company meet him in the comics.
* Look closely around the 2:20 mark. Someone is about hit Glenn from behind with something stick-like. Could it be — for you comic book readers — you-know-who? No worries, we’re not spoiling anything beyond that, but, as happens before every season, there has been speculation about some heartbreaking moments in Season 5, and comic fans know that something, um, happens to Glenn in the comics, although it comes courtesy of a character we have yet to meet on the series.
* Zombies, blood and guts. So many zombies, so much blood and guts.
* “Every sacrifice we make needs to be for the greater good. In here, you’re not the greater good. You’re part of a system,” we hear a woman in a police uniform tell a woman with blonde hair. Who turns out to be Beth (!), wearing a drab uniform, looking down an elevator shaft, standing over a bleeding person, and getting slapped by the female cop. What does it all mean?!
A word of advice before you delve into that trailer: Make sure you have set plenty of time aside, because the action moves so quickly, and the clip is so dense with storyline and character teases, that you are going to watch it many times (stopping to rewind at several points) before diving down the rabbit hole of potential TWD spoilers that is the Interwebs. Have a nice Friday evening, Dead-heads.
The Walking Dead Season 5 premieres Oct. 12 at 9 p.m. on AMC.