All you need to know: MLB news, rumors from Feb. 17
February 17, 2014 9:50 pm ET

MORE: FA tracker: position players | FA tracker: pitchers
The Free Agent Five is now the Free Agent Four, as Ervin Santana, Nelson Cruz, Kendrys Morales and Stephen Drew remain unsigned but Ubaldo Jimenez has found a home — in a deal I believe is unlikely to succeed.
Let’s dive in.
SIGNINGS
Indians: They’ve brought in veteran starting pitcher Aaron Harang and he could make $1 million this season if he earns a rotation spot (Jon Heyman).
Orioles: Ubaldo Jimenez has been signed to a four-year, $50 million deal.
WAIVER CLAIMS
Athletics: They claimed reliever Joe Savery from the Phillies, who was removed from the 40-man roster with the signing of A.J. Burnett.
Royals: Infielder/outfielder Jimmy Paredes has been claimed off waivers from the Orioles. Paredes has been with the Astros, Marlins, Orioles and Royals now this offseason.
TAKING A BREAK
Similar to Ryan Dempster, Barry Zito says that he’s taking a break in 2014 but isn’t retiring from baseball.
REPORTS, RUMORS and SPECULATION
Braves: In an article about the recent contract extensions by the club, beat writer David O’Brien says that he doesn’t think Jason Heyward will be signed long-term. Heyward is set to be a free agent after the 2015 season.
Mets: There’s a “significant gap” in what the Mets would like to pay free agent shortstop Stephen Drew and what he wants (newsday.com).
Kendrys Morales: The Mariners and Orioles are possibilities for the free agent.
Padres: Third baseman Chase Headley hasn’t had discussions with the club about a possible contract extension. He’s set to hit free agency after this season.
Red Sox: Jon Lester says that he hasn’t had any discussions with the front office about a possible contract extension. He’s only locked up for this season before hitting free agency.
Twins: Outfielder Josh Willingham wants to finish his career with the club (twincities.com).
INJURY UPDATES
Astros: All-Star reliever Jesse Crain is hoping to be ready to pitch in the majors sometime in April, following offseason surgery on his right biceps tendon (MLB.com).
Braves: Star setup man Jonny Venters is taking a “slow, steady” approach to rehabbing from Tommy John surgery. If things go well, he could begin a rehab assignment about the time the Braves break camp in late March (MLB.com).
Cardinals: Reliever Kevin Siegrist skipped his scheduled bullpen session Monday due to some left arm soreness, but the move has been termed precautionary (MLB.com).
Diamondbacks: Outfielder Cody Ross is ahead of schedule in his return from hip surgery. He might even be ready to start with the club on opening day (MLB.com).
Mariners: Rookie pitcher Taijuan Walker threw off the mound and reported no issues (seattletimes.com). He had experienced some soreness previously.
Pirates: Closer Jason Grilli hasn’t thrown off a mound since Thursday, but he says he’s perfectly fine. Also, starter Wandy Rodriguez had a very encouraging bullpen session (triblive.com).
Rangers: Second baseman Jurickson Profar has been cleared to begin his throwing program (dallasnews.com). He was dealing with a shoulder injury.
Twins: Shortstop Pedro Florimon will be sidelined at least two weeks after having surgery to remove his appendix Monday. It wasn’t an emergency appendectomy, however, so his timetable for a return is significantly shorter than it could have been (MLB.com).